Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The List

This time last year I was staring down at my hands (in the classic hunt and peck typing style I have perfected) writing down everything that I have always wanted to do but never made it a priority or had the opportunity to do. As this insanely enjoyable euphoric experience came to an end, I had successfully identified 68 things to which I hoped to accomplish in 2009.

My friends thought I was crazy and unrealistic and while this was true in my ways, it was amazingly refreshing for me to do this. While such things as reading a Henry Thoreau novel while canoeing Walden Pond, getting a tattoo (you’re welcome Mom), or back packing Europe were never accomplished- I was able to knock down the list considerably. My cousin Mike and I went vegetarian for a whole month, I completed Ironman Florida along with a few other athletic goals, I learned an authentic Hispanic dish from an authentic Hispanic family, and just a few days ago I competed in a Krystal eating contest to which I gluttonously ate 20 of those nasty little things in 15 minutes (don’t recommend that one)! While I only accomplished half of this crazy list, my perspective on life was somewhat shattered.

Through this experience I came to believe there are few barriers that can effectively get in the way of our dreams and desire. More powerfully I came to believe there are no barriers that can get in the way of Gods desires for our life if we rest in Him. The Lord says in Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” If we are able to crawl into His enormous hands each day, is there truly anything that might thwart the plans of the Creator God who wants to give us everything He perfectly designed for us?

While I still want to learn how to scuba dive, start a wine collection, and create my own holiday and celebrate it, I know that deep down the happiness I receive from such accomplishments pales in the comparison to the complete joy of walking along the path He had created for me.

I’m now sitting here in Bogota, Colombia where my life has come full circle. I am with a great organization and 20 awesome people who truly want to be a positive light to a country where the needs are obvious. In a few weeks I’ll head to Cartagena and begin work at the University and with the IMB mission team there. While I know there is so much from language acquisition to teaching proficiency that will need some serious work, I am really happy! I am blown away by the doors He has opened for me and I am very excited to follow His lead here in South America.

Was uprooting all that I have known in Nashville for the last 10 years to pursue this next chapter in Colombia part of my list? The surprising fact is that it wasn’t but that as I have drawn closer to God over these last years- in amazing cool fashion He revealed His list for me! So while I encourage everyone to make your 2010 dream list (it was fun!) above all things delight in the Lord and be prepared to have your world turned around for the better!

Hope to post a video update from the “Athens of South America” in the next few days! I miss you all so much…and my awesome dog Ellie!

No comments:

Post a Comment