Tuesday, January 12, 2010

First Day of School- Again

Is there anyone out there who enjoys packing? If I ever strike it rich, you better believe that right alongside me having someone whose sole job is to scratch my head (weird…I know), I will also have a personal packer! Without getting hosed by all my female friends, I will say that my packing habits may be slightly similar (that’s all I’m saying). I tend to bring a lot more than I should which was may have been the case for this next year to Colombia. I simply comment to this because as I write this entry, I am staring at a huge heap of clothes, shoes, hats, and a bunch of random objects that somehow managed to find its way into my bags! Did I mention that I already have another bag waiting for me in Cartagena- thanks JD and Laura! Ha! I am like my Mom after all!

A special shout out to my parents who drove from Maine for Xmas, take my truck, and my beloved dog Ellie! Even though I was certainly not myself the last few weeks before I left, it was such a blessing to have them with me. On top of just being around them- they kept me focused on everything I needed to do before I boarded the plane! This was huge for me, because as I experienced every emotion one would feel before leaving the country, I often found myself not wanting to think about leaving. So hence, I was not that productive. If you are Ed Financial- I plan to defer my loans- thanks! Yet, as I hugged my parent’s goodbye and gave my very special 4-legged loved one a nice smooch, I entered the airport super excited to start this next journey.

Over the last few months I have know that there were going to be almost 20 people going with me to Colombia. All of us have been placed into teams that would teach in Isla Baru, Cartagena (Me), Barranquilla, and 2 placements in the beautiful Quindio region of Colombia. I also knew that the whole group would spend 2 plus weeks together in Bogota for our WorldTeach orientation. Having moved out of my “old school” shyness bit, I was pretty excited to meet everyone, but possibly a bit nervous.

Growing up, I absolutely dreaded the first day of school. One, because it was school and I thought it was created by Satan himself (now I’m teaching…wow) and two, because I had to endure the awkwardness that it meeting new people when all you would rather do is play basketball, be fishing, and watching Michael Jordan highlight films. But I guess I have grown up a bit because as I hopped in bed, and in the last time for a while, told Ellie it was “time for nigh nigh,” had her jump up, give me a kiss, and very gently pulled back the covers and curled up to the back of my legs (again weird- but cannot tell you how I miss that), went to bed without much problem. The night before Ironman was like being on crack but leaving everything I have known in Nashville resulted in a ridiculously good night’s sleep- hmm?

I met the group in Houston and the rest was history. I cannot tell you how cool these people are! You ever been at a weird gathering with long lost family, telling your story, answering redundant questions, all the while secretly wishing a comet would come down and remove you from this world? Well, needless to say I have had not in one moment felt anything along these lines here! I have heard this was the most competitive year WorldTeach has ever had and after meeting these people and getting to know their experience, I certainly feel privileged to be here. I can tell you that the regions in Colombia that WorldTeach and Volunteers Colombia have partnered with- are going to be blessed.

I remember in 2nd grade crying behind the Eastman School cubbies the first day of school, after my Father literally dragged me into the school, wishing bad things upon the man who invented learning! But here I am once again, coming full circle, studying hard here at our Bogota orientation with a group of people I have only know for 1 week- excited to go to my teaching placement in Cartagena! I know this country has a drug problem, but has anyone tested the water because I’ve been feeling pretty good.
Please keep all of us in your prayers as we all part ways for our placements in the next week.
Adios!

2 comments:

  1. Eric, absolutely wonderful for you to be having the positive feelings about the people in this program and such an upbeat attitude with the program itself.....yes, just keep holding on...Jeramiah 29:11!!!! Next week will be another awesome experience........prayers are upward!!! Oh, and yes, you have learned "adios"!!! brenda and charles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mr Eric its Faith Apperson A.K.A movie star now. If you haven't already checked out the NPT documentary, then go to NPT.com and go to Childrens Health Crisis. And you can watch me and my mom if you want to. You are on the documentary too! The kids in South America are really luck to have you!!! i miss you being at The Dyani Center and i miss TKO! i hope you like the Documentary! Bye

    ReplyDelete